Overcoming Worldliness: Romans 12:1-2
- All of God’s promises for eternal good are for “overcomers.” Revelation 2-3
I. Identify Conformation (Genesis 19):
- We make choices based on worldly considerations. (Gen. 13:10-11)
- Worldliness bothers us, but we are still a part of it. (2 Peter 2:6-8)
- We become more and more entangled in the world. (19:1)
- We act “better,” but only by comparison! (19:2-8)
- We reject (without genuine consideration) calls to “get out” of the world, or put it off until “we are ready.” (19:9-16)
- We are not willing to fully give up the world, and desire to “go back.” (19:17-26)
- We do not pass spirituality on the next generation. (19:30-38)
II. Embrace Transformation (Romans 12:1-2):
How? “the renewing of your mind.”
- Change the way act by changing the way you think.
1. Change the way you think about LIFE
- Colossians 3:1-2—things above, not on the earth!
- Do you know where you’re going in life?
- This is not just the things we think about, but what we yearn for, delight in, and will do no matter what!
- Is heaven really where you want to go?
2. Change the way you think about YOURSELF
- Colossians 3:3-10
- Do you know who you are?
- Galatians 2:20—I have become an instrument of God to do his will.
- Ephesians 4:23 “renewed in the spirit of your mind"
3. Change the way you think about GOD’S DIRECTION
- Approve of God’s way in your own mind, then prove to the world that God’s way works.
- 1 John 5:1-4—Overcome the world by faith!
MAKE THE CHOICE!
- Joshua 24:15; 1 Kings 18:21; Matthew 6:24; James 4:4